Diversity and differences are part of modern society. More and more, differences can be seen in the classroom. An efficient approach of diversity needs to be based on the recognition of those differences. The teaching processes, the teaching methods and evaluation methods have to evolve hand in hand with the changes that are noticed in the classroom and society.
This 4 days course is organized in LISBON COAST – PORTUGAL and aims at introducing and implementing differentiated methods of pupils and students evaluation.
During the course, there is a study visit to a Portuguese school that is fully engaged in looking to differences as an opportunity for educational innovation.
The course isn’t set up as a theoretical lecture, but offers exchanges, practical exercises, examples and case studies. The participants will be actively involved in the course activities.
Wednesday May 24th (09.00 h) – Saturday May 27th (16.30 h)
Next items can be explored, experienced or studied:
1 Screening, observation and registration of the specific educational needs of the students within the framework of the common curriculum.
2 Efficient and effective mapping the starting situation of the learning process and learning needs.
3 Designing, planning and organisation of a differentiated learning environment in which the learning gaols can be deepened or broadened.
4 Explicitation of the learning goals and learning intentions of the pupils / students
- WALT: We are learning to,...
- WILF: What I Like to see,...
- TIB: This is because
5 How to give the pupils / student ownership on the learning process
- Making learning visible
- Improved autonomy during learning process
- Exercises on direct feedback
6 Evaluation process as mean of documentation of the learning process
- Portfolio work, self-evaluation and self-reflection
- Student keeps record of own learning progress
- Efficient use of IT to register learning progress
7 Assessment as learning:
- Different forms of formative assessment
- Cooperative learning and evaluation strategies
- Feedback and feedforward talks
8 Participants can introduce other aspects or questions on differentiation in teaching and evaluation. This will be decided during the editing of the learning agreement.
The first evening we have a visit to a fishermen’s village on the beach and a common welcome supper. The last evening we take the farewell supper in a typical Portuguese restaurant.
The seminar is organized in the Hotel Costa da Caparica, a delightful 4 star hotel located at 14 km from Lisbon (22 km from Lisbon Airport).
The hotel is situated at the sea shore with a magnificent view on the Atlantic Ocean and the mouth of the River Tagus.
There is a very easy access from the airport. Public transport and taxis provide fast connection from and to Lisbon centre.
If you would arrive earlier and/or leave later, we can book those supplementary nights at a reduced cost of € 80/night (breakfast included).
- We offer a flexible cost structure, allowing you to select the package that fits best your personal or school situation.
- For a detailed explanation, have a look at our 'Cost Structure'.
- Portuguese participants, who don't use a hotel room, obtain a reduced fee for the course that takes place in Portugal. Their total course fee is € 350. If they don’t take dinner or supper, the course fee is € 200.
- You can request an Erasmus Plus grant from your national agency which will cover almost all costs of this course.
- We can guide you through the process of funding and application. To do so, you need the make a pre-registration.
- After pre-registration, we’ll contact you by mail and provide the application help.
TAXI FROM AIRPORT TO HOTEL
- There is a taxi service at the airport that can drive you to the hotel. The normal price is about € 35.
- At night and during traffic jam, the driver will ask a higher price until € 65.
- It's particularly difficult to leave Lisbon between 16:30 and 19:00 h and to enter Lisbon between 08:30 and 10:30 h.
METRO / AEROBUS , FERRY AND TAXI
- You can take the metro located at exit of the arrival hall of the airport and leave the metro at the terminus station Cais do Sodré. The cost should be about € 2,00.
- The Aerobus is another good way to travel from and to the airport. The Aerobus provides a connection between the airport and Cais do Sodré. A simple ticket costs €3,5 and a return ticket € 5,5 (purchased onboard)
- At the station of Cais do Sodre, you can take a ticket for the ferry boat to Cacilhas (south bank of River Tejo). A simple tickets costs €1,50. During working hours, there is a crossing every 15 minutes. The ferry takes 12 minutes to arrive on the other side of the river.
- At Cacilhas, you can take a taxi for the last remaining 11 km. The cost should be about €10.
- A rental car is not so expensive. Sharing a rental car with 3 other people for all transport during the course, can be cheaper than relying on a taxi.
- The airport is connected directly to Costa da Caparica by the Ring of Lisbon, the North-South Connection (Eixo Norte – Sul) and the IC20.
- Crossing the bridge, you have a marvelous view on Lisbon, the estuary and both banks of the River Tejo.
- Bring or rent a GPS.
- Check the prices of rental cars on internet.
- We provide a coach that will leave at the airport in the late evening of Tuesday May 23rd 2017 and transport the participants to the hotel.
- We provide the same service on Sunday May 28th 2017 to go back to the airport.
- The cost of the coach will be divided amongst the users.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information on the content and the organization of the course.
We can provide support during the process, give some help and provide tips for the application documents, advice you on the European Staff Development Plan (part of the application) or your professionalization plan and help you after approval with the practical arrangements (e.g. information on travel and accommodation).
For more information, please contact Mr Wim Simoens, course director.