27 April – 1 May 2020
You are interested in this course
for the schoolyear 2019-2020?
Pre-registration is now possible.
Dates can be subject to change and are only final after official confirmation by the course provider.
The Eekhout Academy organizes its international courses in cooperation with local partners and schools.
This course is run in collaboration with ALMADAFORMA, School’s Training Centre of Almada, and the Secondary School Fernão Mendes Pinto (Pragal)
Rua projetada V à rua da Urraca,
This course is an implementation of the first course ‘Diversity in Education’ (Lisbon) where participants can explore diversity in all its aspects and are offered several frameworks on diversity.
In this second course the focus is set on diversity in the classroom and practical tools for teachers.
Illustrated with examples of tools, (parts of) lessons or work methods, we deal with a different aspect of diversity each course day.
In teams we will explore and design new activities or tools.
We will have a look at the following aspects of diversity: language, gender, culture and learning in general.
Furthermore we present and study the Universal Design for Learning (UDL), a very powerful tool for teachers in a diverse classroom. Participants will have the opportunity to do practical exercises with UDL.
During the course, participants will work on an action plan they can use when returning to their own context.
The programme also includes a study visit to a school or educational organisation in the regional context of València.
EXAMPLE OF PROGRAMME
- Welcome and introduction
- Theoretical introductions on 4 diversity fields: Multilingualism, cultural diversity, gender diversity and learning diversity
- Working with diverse practical tools for the diversity fields, i.e. class activities, work methods
- Design of new tools
- UDL (Universal Designfor Learning): theory, practice and exercises. Participants will work with their lesson plans
- (not confirmed) prevention of polarization and radicalization
- Study visit to a school or educational organisation in the regional context of València Keynote
- Editing and presentation of own action plan
- Evaluation and certificates
A course day starts at 09.00 h and ends at 16.00 h, with a break for lunch of 1 h.
On Friday we end at 15.30 h, allowing participants to catch the last airplane.
The participants have the opportunity to join a cultural programme, welcome supper and farewell supper.
During the courseweek, there is a free period for personal reflection and transfer exercises and a voluntary cultural activity.
PORTUGAL - LISBON (South Bank Tejo)
- The seminar is organized in a delightful 4 star hotel located at 10 km from Lisbon Centre (15 km from Lisbon airport).
- The hotel is situated at the south bank of the river Tagus (Tejo) with easy connection to public transport (tram way).
- Public transport and taxis provide fast connection from and to Lisbon centre.
- If you would arrive earlier (Saturday or Sunday) and / or leave later (Saturday or Sunday) we can book those supplementary nights at a reduced cost. See our 'Cost Structure' 'web page.
- We offer a flexible cost structure, allowing you to select the package that fits best your personal or school situation.
- For a detailed explanation, have a look at our 'Cost Structure'.
- Portuguese participants, who don't use a hotel room, obtain a reduced fee for the course that takes place in Portugal. Their total course fee is € 350. If they don’t take dinner or supper, the course fee is € 200.
- You can request an Erasmus Plus grant from your national agency which will cover almost all costs of this course.
- We can guide you through the process of funding and application. To do so, you need the make a pre-registration.
- After pre-registration, we’ll contact you by mail and provide the application help.
TAXI FROM AIRPORT TO HOTEL
- There is a taxi service at the airport that can drive you to the hotel. The normal price is about € 30.
- At night and during traffic jam, the driver will ask a higher price until € 55.
- It's particularly difficult to leave Lisbon between 16:30 and 19:00 h and to enter Lisbon between 08:30 and 10:30 h.
METRO / AEROBUS , FERRY AND TAXI
- You can take the metro located at exit of the arrival hall of the airport and leave the metro at the terminus station Cais do Sodré. The cost should be about € 2,00.
- The Aerobus is another good way to travel from and to the airport. The Aerobus provides a connection between the airport and Cais do Sodré. A simple ticket costs €3,5 and a return ticket € 5,5 (purchased onboard)
- At the station of Cais do Sodre, you can take a ticket for the ferry boat to Cacilhas (south bank of River Tejo). A simple tickets costs €1,50. During working hours, there is a crossing every 15 minutes. The ferry takes 12 minutes to arrive on the other side of the river.
- At Cacilhas, you can take a taxi for the last remaining 5 km. The cost should be about €10.
- A rental car is not so expensive. Sharing a rental car with 3 other people for all transport during the course, can be cheaper than relying on a taxi.
- The airport is connected directly to hotel in Lisbon South Bank - Almada by the Ring of Lisbon, the North-South Connection (Eixo Norte – Sul) and the A2.
- Crossing the bridge, you have a marvellous view on Lisbon, the estuary and both banks of the River Tejo.
- Bring or rent a GPS.
- Check the prices of rental cars on internet.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information on the content and the organization of the course.
We can provide support during the process, give some help and provide tips for the application documents, advice you on the European Staff Development Plan (part of the application) or your professionalization plan and help you after approval with the practical arrangements (e.g. information on travel and accommodation).
For more information, please contact Mr Wim Simoens, course director.