22-27 October : fully booked
29 April – 4 May 2018: confirmed
You are interested in this course for the schoolyear
2017-2018 or 2018-2019?
Pre-registration is now possible.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are crucial keystones in today’s society. In current curricula and educational systems, there is a tendency to integrate these subjects into one approach: STEM.
Proof has already been given that this methodology hugely enhances the student’s motivation.
The course contains practical cases (learning by doing) and finishes with a personal STEM exercise or ‘masterpiece’. The participants are offered pedagogical and didactical approaches towards STEM in education. We explore some practical cases (learning by doing) and finish with a personal STEM exercise or ‘masterpiece’
The course also integrates some digital visualising techniques, adding a more artistic touch to STE(A)M. The course is organised in cooperation with a Portuguese secondary school, where we can use the technical infrastructure and digital devices.
We will fully use the interesting aspects the city of Lisbon offers. The exercises are centred on the idea of building bridges or spans. During the course visits are planned to interesting places in Lisbon that are dominated by important bridges.
Furthermore, we integrate a visit the huge former electric power plant and the recently opened museum of art, architecture and technology (www.maat.pt/en), both situated in Belém.
It’s clear that the location of the course in Lisbon, will contribute to its success.
The participants don’t have to come from education systems in which STE(A)M is an official or separate discipline. Teachers of technology, science, applied science, engineering, arts, visual arts, laboratory… can perfectly integrate the STE(A)M methods into the normal courses.
During the course there is half a day of free time to enjoy of the cultural aspects of Lisboa.
EXAMPLE OF PROGRAMME
Welcome, Icebreaking and introduction
Key note, introduction to STE(A)M, opportunities of STE(A)M, pedagogical aspects, teacher as coach.
How to design of a STE(A)M project / Visual Techniques: input and exercises.
Practical exercise based on bridges and spans, Research and finding sources, Integrating S, T, E, A and M in the
project, Visit to bridge(s) and/or span(s) in Lisbon (eg. Ponte 25 de Abril, Aqueduto das Água Livres)
Integration of coding in STE(A)M
Study visit to Former coal powered electricity plant + Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology (Belém) and Work session: preparation of Masterpiece
Presentation of Masterpiece
Evaluation and Certificates
Official end :12.00 h
PORTUGAL - LISBON (South Bank Tejo)
The seminar is organized in a delightful 4 star hotel located at 10 km from Lisbon Centre (15 km from Lisbon airport).
The hotel is situated at the south bank of the river Tagus (Tejo) with easy connection to public transport (tram way).
Public transport and taxis provide fast connection from and to Lisbon centre.
If you would arrive earlier (Saturday or Sunday) and/or leave later (Saturday or Sunday) we can book those supplementary nights at a reduced cost. See our 'Cost Structure' web page.
- We offer a flexible cost structure, allowing you to select the package that fits best your personal or school situation.
- For a detailed explanation, have a look at our 'Cost Structure'.
- Portuguese participants, who don't use a hotel room, obtain a reduced fee for the course that takes place in Portugal. Their total course fee is € 350. If they don’t take dinner or supper, the course fee is € 200.
- This course is eligible for Erasmusplus funding (KA1).
- You can request an Erasmus Plus grant from your national agency which will cover almost all costs of this course.
TAXI FROM AIRPORT TO HOTEL
- There is a taxi service at the airport that can drive you to the hotel. The normal price is about € 30.
- At night and during traffic jam, the driver will ask a higher price until € 55.
- It's particularly difficult to leave Lisbon between 16:30 and 19:00 h and to enter Lisbon between 08:30 and 10:30 h.
METRO / AEROBUS , FERRY AND TAXI
- You can take the metro located at exit of the arrival hall of the airport and leave the metro at the terminus station Cais do Sodré. The cost should be about € 2,00.
- The Aerobus is another good way to travel from and to the airport. The Aerobus provides a connection between the airport and Cais do Sodré. A simple ticket costs €3,5 and a return ticket € 5,5 (purchased onboard)
- At the station of Cais do Sodre, you can take a ticket for the ferry boat to Cacilhas (south bank of River Tejo). A simple tickets costs €1,50. During working hours, there is a crossing every 15 minutes. The ferry takes 12 minutes to arrive on the other side of the river.
- At Cacilhas, you can take a taxi for the last remaining 5 km. The cost should be about €10.
- A rental car is not so expensive. Sharing a rental car with 3 other people for all transport during the course, can be cheaper than relying on a taxi.
- The airport is connected directly to hotel in Lisbon South Bank - Almada by the Ring of Lisbon, the North-South Connection (Eixo Norte – Sul) and the A2.
- Crossing the bridge, you have a marvellous view on Lisbon, the estuary and both banks of the River Tejo.
- Bring or rent a GPS.
- Check the prices of rental cars on internet.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information on the content and the organization of the course.
We can provide support during the process, give some help and provide tips for the application documents, advice you on the European Staff Development Plan (part of the application) or your professionalization plan and help you after approval with the practical arrangements (e.g. information on travel and accommodation).
For more information, please contact Mrs Charlotte Depoorter, management assistance at email@example.com or Mr Wim Simoens, course director (firstname.lastname@example.org).